January 20, 2007

So you want to be a columnist...

I've just left my job at the Gabber, and am now about a week away from flat broke. Because my people back at the paper still love me, they have offered me this column. Not because, I suspect, they believe that I will greatly increase readership with my musings, but because they fear for my impending lack of beer money. So here goes my first shot...


Greetings from the College Kid

As many of you may know, I recently decided to leave my position at the paper in order to concentrate on my education. It wasn’t an easy decision to make, and I can tell you that two weeks into my semester at the University of South Florida, I am already missing my Gabber family.
However, I have been putting off my bachelor’s degree long enough. We don’t get any other shot at life, and when I left the University of Florida at the wizened age of twenty, I thought I would have no regrets. Turns out I was wrong.
But fear not, Gabber readers. While embarking on this new adventure – a goal I am finally realizing – I will be keeping in touch. In this column I will not only endeavor to keep you abreast of my life as a second-chance college kid, but also of the myriad of diversions that my new, flexible schedule now affords.
These first few weeks as a full-time student have been overwhelming. Many of you who have made the similar decision to go back to school will know what I mean. The truth is, you can’t go back.
As I said, when I left school ten years ago, I thought I didn’t need college. After all, I was the same age as my peers who were doing just fine at their restaurant and retail jobs. But now my friends have master’s degrees and doctorates, and I am in classes with significantly younger folks.
That’s okay, I tell myself. I am significantly wiser than many of them. My priorities are more grounded. This should be a piece of cake!
However, half-way into Dante’s Inferno and the five different versions of Whitman’s Leaves of Grass, I began to doubt myself.
Now, there’s nothing wrong with doubt. Doubt keeps you humble. But it also opens the door for a number of diversions. And by diversions I mean, of course, distractions. Chief among those distractions for me these past few weeks has been the Tavern at Bayboro on the USF St. Pete campus.
People, my college campus has a bar! Not fifty yards from my beginning Spanish classroom, there are students, professors and all manner of academics sipping Newcastle Ales, discussing philosophy, reading poetry and grooving to the occasional live bands! I am in heaven.
Not so good for Dante, but perfect for the aged college student who has long been old enough to sip an adult beverage.
Now, this little Tavern (formerly known as Tavern on the Green until the original – you know, the one in Central Park – got wind of it) is not just for college folks. But it is one of the best kept secrets in St. Petersburg. Combine that with some tasty sandwich selections and the adjoining Bayboro Books, it beats Dante’s Paradiso any day.
I have friends at the US Geological Survey (USGS) just two blocks away who consider this spot their second office. Of course, that’s government work for you. But after plugging away at the office or, in my case Chaucer, it’s incredible to look out at the water, sipping a fine imported brew and drinking in Florida’s “winter” sunshine.
Of course, there are a lot of places to do that in our fair metro area, but few of them are ten feet from my poetry class.
Now, don’t you worry. I’m still getting in plenty of studying. But going to school at this small, beautiful campus has some amazing perks. And, I imagine I’ll probably have a lot more fun in downtown St. Petersburg that I ever did in Gainesville.
I intend to make the most of it and, just in case you are not discovering your second childhood as I am, I will tell you all about it.
I’m sure the Gabber office will get along just fine without me. The Gabber is an unsinkable ship, as the boss likes to say. But if you get the urge, you can always stop over for a visit. I’ll be down at the Tavern, and who knows where else…
Published in The Gabber Newspaper, Gulfport, FL 2/15/07

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

doubt makes me want to take the easy way out in fear i won't make it through the hard road.

after everything you've read by me, in all honesty, do you think i'd survive in the journalism world?

i've been having the hardest time of my life deciding what i want to do w/ my life. i like a lot of things, but my 4 biggest loves are: mathematics, computers, writing and, of course, my bf lol

Shelly Wilson said...

Noelia -

It's odd that you picked up on the small thread of doubt in that column. And telling. I actually, directly, addressed that in my very first blog post on this site, if you care to read it.

I'm hesitant to give advice for it often begs resentment (as you so well know). But, I think I can offer encouragement.

You have a superb eye for documenting human nature. I continue to read your blog because it is not, as so many teenaged ramblings can be, vain. You bring a thoughtfulness and insight to a sliver of life I have all but forgotten. That is, of course, the heart of good journalism.

Unfortunately I think that for all but a lucky few, doubt is constant. Yet, you have already shown that you have the tenacity to take the "hard road."

I don't know if it's comforting or exasperating to hear this, however, but self-doubt isn't necessarily something you will grow out of--at least not for a long time. But, I'm guessing, you will become a better friend to yourself, and find that your instincts--however quiet they may seem--are the sound of your life's road map. I try to follow them.

As for what you like, why can't you do it all? An interest in mathematics and computers can lead to a very interesting and lucrative life. And writing--well, I'm betting you'll always have that, though I think you would do well as a journalist.

On a practical note, computers and journalism go very well together these days. In fact, it's nearly impossible to find "traditional" print journalism opportunities, but the Internet is full of them. I would try to find web writing gigs--freelance even if they don't pay--to pad your resume and gain some experience. That is where journalism is headed, and it offers you an interesting, fast-paced alternative to traditional journalism, with far more career potential. (Honestly, I could have gotten some pretty cool jobs if I'd only had more web writing experience.)

That's a lot of talking on my part, I know. But you asked a serious question, and you deserved a thoughtful answer. Besides, nobody reads my blog, so who cares? ; )

Best,

Shelly