October 4, 2008

I'm going to Copenhagen

As in Denmark. As in Europe. To live there.

No, that's not a joke. My girlfriend got a scholarship for three years to do her Ph.D. in Copenhagen. We're selling the house and going.

What the hell can I say about that? Aside from a fairly disastrous three years in Gainesville, and a short fling in Boston just for the hell of it, I've never lived far from home. I'm a cancer. We're home-bound folks.

Not that I've never wanted to broaden my horizons. Not that I haven't fancied myself a Henry James or an Ernest Hemingway, living abroad, having adventures, and then writing in a slightly more cynical, world-weary tone about it all. I'm a fairly romantic girl; I've always thought about it.

But now, of course, I'm scared. Soiling my pants terrified, actually. Denmark is so very foreign. I think I have ancestors from Scandinavia. I certainly will look like I fit in. (Save for my Americanized sense of style, which can't be helped for now.) But honestly, it's a bit surreal.

Here's what I know about Denmark: They are fairly friendly, tolerant people. They have decent socialized health care that I will likely have access to. Their language is impossible (I'm still trying to figure out the basics of Spanish), but thankfully, 80% of the country speaks English far better than I speak anything else. The weather is abysmal. The bars stay open until 5am. They have an affinity for pickled fish products that I do not quite understand. They like to ride bikes. A lot. And they leave their babies outside. No, really.

I know a bit more. I have books; I've been studying. But all of the studying in the world is not going to make me feel any less anxious. See, I confuse excitement with anxiety. I always have. Particularly when that excitement is about moving a zillion miles from home.

Oh, God. I don't even have a passport.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

baby steps are for babies, you've graduated yourself to giant steps!

i couldn't imagine living in another country like such. i mean, sure, i considered spain, but just cause i already speak spanish, but still, euros are freaky and they use different words.

but wow, copenhagen.. that IS foreign. but foreign doesn't have to be weird. it's different and exciting and, omg, everyone will want to know EVERYTHING, and you'll DEFINITELY have lots to tell! i guess that's the most exciting part, telling people about it, cause almost everyone stays on the safe side and only admire those w/ the guts to pack their bags and leave.

Shelly Wilson said...

That was very well put, and makes me feel a bit better. Thank you. I think I'm less freaked out than my girlfriend, which is weird. She left Puerto Rico for Tampa, and then to St. Louis, and then back to FL. She's been all over Europe. I don't know why she's more scared than me. Maybe because I'm so naive. But honestly, I'm really excited. I'm just not so much looking forward to the long plane ride. ; )

Anonymous said...

how is it possible that the only real writer in blogger stopped writing?! how's life?

Anonymous said...

Those of us fotunate enough to be stuck in your elevator are really going to miss you.