May 22, 2010

What I Meant

Well, I haven't posted much. Clearly. Of course, those of you who know me probably don't expect much, anyway. And I guess I appreciate that.

The truth is, I have written. I've written three or four different posts. Most deleted because they're, really, not what I want to say. Always, there is the line from Prufrock: That's not what I meant, at all.

But writing goes the way of living; very often, what comes out is a great surprise. I sit down to do one thing, and, somehow, I create another. So, to circumvent any need for poetry, I will make a list (my writer-friend Jill has illustrated the succinct power of the list) of all that is with me.

1. I miss my brother.

2. I am giving myself license. To miss him and to be self-destructive.

3. Self-destruction is less dramatic, as I get older.

4. I need. I have an intense need--the kind which is there in all of us, all the time.

5. Loss makes this need a sad hunger. Insatiable.

6. History has taught me: this will become a longing. And then a simple hurt. And then a fact.

7. The fact is that I could not save him. I could not, maybe, ever have saved him.

Also, there is this: I'm back in Copenhagen, with what was waiting for me. Regular life. Normal life. Easy to be here, without him. It's a guilty ease. But also, I am immobilized. And I'm not particularly self-motivated, as a rule.

So, again, this is not what I want to say. Or even what I meant. What I meant is his smile and hopeful voice: Hey, big sister... It is a person, flesh and bone. Living, hands and blood.

But I do understand, now, that words are the only thing I can do. And I understand, now, that these symbols are an adequate illustration for loss. Because they are essentially a removal. Sorry little place keepers for the thing itself.

2 comments:

Jill Malone said...

Sometimes we just get transitive verbs.

Shelly Wilson said...

It's an instinctual thing, perhaps, that we look--we hope, even--for the object. (And thus, of course, the power of the list.)