August 8, 2007

Are We This Sick?

Is Her Blood On the Wall?
New Report Has Cops Worried
SEE HOW HER PARENTS REACT



This is the current headline on AOL regarding the little girl, Madeline, who disappeared in Portugal recently.

There are few words to express - as a journalist and a human being - how repulsive this is to me. Have we become so anaesthetised that we are thirsty for this kind of "news"?

I don't want to see how her parents react. I've seen enough of grief to know - and I don't need it bandied about as entertainment. Or worse, news.

It is NOT news that these parents are living the biggest nightmare of their lives. It is not news that they are pleading against reason for the life of their little girl.
I don't want to live in a society that can not control its own fetish for voyeurism. Yet, I am overcome with this hopeless realization: we will never evolve past mindless brutality. We are simply too fascinated by the pain of others and betrayed by our own carnal lust to see it.

What hypocrites we are.

No comments: